Thursday, October 20, 2016

Solving a homeschool/work problem?

When we decided to homeschool this time, my business was still in the slow stages.  I got a little work here and there, I was still sewing for pleasure.  It was doable with homeschool in a BIG way.

However, I did a small show in February highlighting my tshirt quilts at a drill team competition.  It has turned out to be a GREAT event for business.  I have gotten 6 orders from direct customers AND 6-9 (can't remember off the top of my head) from them telling friends.

Then in the summer, I sent my info to the scout leaders in the area telling them about my ability to sew patches on uniforms.  Woo boy - that was an amazing marketing strategy.  I may be getting a contract with a local shop to do all the pre-orders.

Also, I ran a few Facebook ads from late August to just about a month ago - maybe 6 ad runs.  It brought likes for my page up from 150 to over 500.  Now, this brought in more than I could have ever imagined.  The $100 or so I spent on all the ads looks small comparatively to what I brought in. 

Besides that, I added 2 embroidery machines to the mix. 

Needless to say - I am slammed beyond measure and really could use a part-time employee (maybe 10-15 hours a week).  I am trying to train my daughter, but she is not really interested.

What does this have to do with homeschool?  Well, it is seriously difficult to homeschool while customers are knocking on the door, calling, texting, emailing, etc. 

The kids are old enough that most of their work is self directed, but I do like to check their math as they go, explain the writing, talk about the history, etc.  However, this means I may have 15 minutes while they are working, then 1 has a question, then 5 minutes and another has a question, then one is ready for the test, or ready to talk about the writing the assignment, then I may get 30 minutes, but then it is time for math (for the 1st), then another 20 minutes, and it is time for math for the other.  It goes on like this until about 2 in the afternoon. While getting up and going in the morning, I am starting to get wind down for the day when really, it is time for me to just start my job!

So, since something has to give, it is the homeschooling aspect.  We found a really neat school that is part private/part homeschool.  For two days they go to private school and then for two days, they homeschool.  They get one day per week for their extra curriculars.  I would not have to plan, grade or facilitate any curriculum - I am just there on the homeschool days to answer questions and make sure they finish.  Which, my kiddos do fine already. 

This means 2 days a week, I can work without interruption.  2 days I can work a little more than I am doing now, and 1 day will be up in the air, because I do not know what their extra curriculars will be like.

This system helps me keep the homeschool part I love, while getting rid of the administrative portion (which is huge!)

The cost is less than 1/2 of a private school, but they get the benefits of it.  It is a classical private school, so they will learn Latin, Rhetoric and most classes are taught in with the Socratic method - which I LOVE.

We have to go through the admissions process still, but I have a really good feeling about it!

2 comments:

  1. I had no idea there were schools which were partially home school! So glad business is booming for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea....scout uniforms will keep you busy!

    ReplyDelete

Namaste