Thursday, February 15, 2018

Keeping Busy

Really, I love chaos.  My blog title really says it.  Sometimes it is sweet, but mostly it is just what it is - Chaotic.

I am so all over the map it is not funny.  First, I am gazelle about getting out of debt, then not so much - but then I am again.  Geez Louise.

First, I want a business, then maybe I don't, then I really do and cannot live without it. 

Up and down and up and down.  I feel like a freaking roller coaster. 

Anyway, we are still working on our normal.

Homeschool:  We are actually doing so good with this.  We are not sitting down daily as a group, but we manage 3 out of 5 days usually and that is OK. I am grading every day, which is helping them stay on top of things. 

However, I don't want to homeschool anymore.  I think it is a season.  DH wants me to, the kids want to be, but it is very stressful and very time consuming (to do it correctly).   The public schools here are not an option - very low income and very bad rating.  Private schools so far have not worked out plus they are so expensive!

We are going to keep homeschooling this semester and think about it.  The local community college may be the route we go.  I am looking into that.

Business:  I have decided to do a craft show coming up in 2 weeks - YIKES!  I am working like crazy to keep the current orders going and make enough for the show.  I gotta tell you, it is not easy.  My reason for doing this is to make contacts - not so much to sell really (though it would be nice), but to meet people who know people.  For example,  a lady is the mother (or sister or THE person) who is on the booster club for the band/drill team/cheer/football/soccer/basketball/baseball/dance team/gynastics team/etc and they need a different kind of fundraiser or they get lots of Tshirts or they are having a competition and were looking for someone that does what I do (yes, that happens).  

The ultimate event for me is a competition where parents from multiple schools attend and they have to stay there all day.  I have a captive audience.  If I do ONE of those, then I won't have to do any others.  Getting those though, are difficult at best - it is all who you know.  It is how my business took off where I lived before. 

So, my demographic is grandmothers and mothers with school aged children that have some disposable income.  I work with very few men - in fact NONE have ordered a quilt, only the women have.  The men just come for the pick-up.

Here is my latest creation!  The patterns came from Dolls and Daydreams.  Tooth Goblins and Tooth Fairies.  They are just too cute!


Finances:  OK, I am a little gazelle intense right now because we made a bigger shovel.  For years now, we have been using the zero based budgeting method and ultimately, we still are.  Before, we looked at everything that could possibly come up - car repair, clothing, summer, etc, etc and saved a little every month for them.  It is a VERY good way to do it - especially if you know you will be in debt for a long time. 

However, the oil industry is turning around - slowly, but it is.  Our bonuses are back.  I have no idea if they will stay, if they will be this high or if this is the last - that is the awful part of the oil industry.  However, when things are going good - it is usually very, very good.  We have decided to stop paying to all those little mini savings accounts in order to once and for all get rid of this debt.  We pay the mortgage, all our bills, and groceries, gas, etc.  Everything that is left goes immediately to debt. 

If, and that is a BIG if, bonuses stick around this year at about the same level we just got, then we will be out of non-mortgage debt this year.  That just kicked things up for me.  How much can we pay down this month?  I can go without a hair cut/clothes/etc/etc.

The thought simply stuns me!  We have NEVER been out of debt before - never!

I wish I could give you numbers today, but we just got paid today, so DH and I have to discuss tonight.  I will do my best to get them put up tomorrow.  It is exciting stuff!

6 comments:

  1. You are one crafty lady! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not solicited feedback, but keep in mind if you are going to get out of nonmortgage debt, you need to also thnk about how to stay out of nonmortgage debt. From reaading your blog, it seems like you have been close, then added debt. I know you had some windfalls this past year financailly and were using so much to get to a bettr place financailly, but they might be just that. Good luck with your business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, we have done that a couple of times. We don't have a good track record, so we will see.

      Delete
    2. My thoughts are merely a distant bystander observation. I didn't mean to sound snarky,as I read now how I might have sounded. Thank you for not taking it as such. I enjoy your blog.

      Delete
  3. It is easy to do without clothes or a haircut if you can see big things happening. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Namaste