Wednesday, November 9, 2016

So sad today

I am going to bring it up, only in so much as it has affected me.

This election has been the worst I have ever gone through.  I have lost friends over our differences - really pathetic actually, so superficial.

So, this friend of mine, we have never agreed politically.  However, in all our differences, we had such fun - laughing, talking about the earth, social injustices, the education of our children, sewing, knitting, crocheting, art - she is/was my most well-rounded friend.

Well, she took a stand against Trump and for Clinton like no-one I have ever seen.  Last night, she wrote that she would unfriend anyone who voted for Trump (really she meant anyone against Clinton).  Now, I will not say who I voted for, but I did not vote for Clinton (don't assume only 2 parties either).  I basically told her that a new day would come, people would go to work, kids would go to school, husbands and wives would argue and love, friends would disagree and hug. 

She responded to me by saying she hoped I was right, but would hold me PERSONALLY responsibly for anything bad that happens while Trump was in office and that by NOT voting for Clinton, I was being anti-gay, anti-Jew, anti-black, anti-hispanic, anti-women, basically, against any minority group, which is ludicrous.

It actually hurt my heart to be told this by a person who sat in my home drinking wine and/or coffee, who I went to her home and watched her kids.  Someone I shopped with.

I don't do these things very often or with everyone I know.

My husband said she will get over it eventually.  I know he is right, but I really hate how the media and this election has polarized this country.  Very sad indeed.

11 comments:

  1. Hugs are all I can offer you. I'm sad and very shaken by the result. It an unenviable position the US has found itself in, and it's become quite a polarising event. I think she will get over it once the initial aftermath has calmed somewhat, but I can understand your hurt and I'm sorry. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very sorry to hear this. I've had a hard time this election cycle. As a woman who is passionate about equal rights, and a mother raising biracial children, it's been difficult not to take much of this personally. Very personally. My family feels marginalized by things that have been said by someone who was elected president. My kids have asked if their dad would be deported. As a woman, I feel marginalized.

    That said, I would never attack a friend for their political stance. One of the best parts of this country is we all have a right to our opinion. People have died to preserve this right for us, and I will continue to stand up for everyone to have the ability to share those beliefs. Even when I disagree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am confused why your children would ask if your husband would be deported???

      Delete
    2. My husband is from Iran. There has been a lot of discussion about deporting Muslims. Ironically, my husband is not a Muslim & is a US citizen. And, this is not a conversation I've had with the kids - these are things that they have read about in the news, and heard about at school.

      Delete
  3. It is very sad. People and friendships are worth more than political views. People are being very ugly indeed. I didn't vote for Clinton, but had she won I would never dream of destroying a friendship over it. We need to remember that we are all Americans and find common ground in that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll said, and I agree. I was prepared to back Mrs. Clinton if she won even though she wasn't my candidate of choice.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you didn't lose a friend that was worth keeping.
    Be glad you're done with her and vice versa.
    You don't need people like that in your life.
    Be Happy. You're much better off than you realize.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter posted a very similar post. Actually a Clinton supporter told her she should go kill herself. How can Hillary supporters say they aren't racist when indeed they take this disgusting stand against those with different views? I proudly voted for life. There was only one candidate who defended that stance. It was important to me. Does that make me a white supremist, racist, homophobe who believes an unborn child, especially late in a pregnancy, deserves the right to life? What Clinton supporters are doing now says way more about their character than anything Trump ever said. Jennifer, surround yourself with people who share your values and leave the rest. Life is too short, and living by your truth is the only thing you can do. Haters are gonna hate. Let's all pray for our country and move on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm replying because I like & respect you & think that you are a good person. What happened to your daughter is disgusting & wrong, and no one should act that way. However, lumping all Hillary Clinton supporters in makes the same assumptions that other people are making about you. You think Hillary is a liar or a bad person. I get that. I think Donald Trump is many terrible things. I don't think that makes you any of those things, and please don't assign attributes to me in the same way. The exact same reason you voted the way you did? I have issues I too feel very passionately about & fundamentally believe are right for this country & my family. It's okay that those are in opposition. We need to respect each other, the supporters on both sides, and move forward. The more things that are said back & forth? The harder it gets to move on & forget.

      Delete
    2. I don't believe all Clinton supporters are like that and didn't mean to lump all together. If I came across that way, I apologize. My sister and parents all voted for Mrs. Clinton. I certainly don't think less of them. Obviously. But, we should all be given respect for our choices in candidates. Let's just wait and see how he does before we make assumptions. Just as a lot of the reports on Clinton were over exaggerated, so were those of Trump.

      Delete

Namaste