Friday, September 29, 2017

Week 35 Update

We are now 35 weeks!  Some days, it does not feel it like that long and others, I feel every second of it.  This day, I feel every second.  It is wearing on me because I feel like all the pressure is on me. 

Anyway - We got some things done, but there were so many problems this week that it feels like 3 steps forward and 4 steps back.

New Home:  I don't even know where to start. 

1.  We tried to sand and stain the front door, but it is too humid for the stain to dry and there is no electricity (thus no air conditioning), so that project is on hold.  However, they did put up the door jam and drilled for the door knob.

2. Tile - I mean progress was made, but there are so many little pieces here and there.  The grout was supposed to be put in so plumbing could get in there today, but when I checked this morning, there was no grout around the toilets.  So, we will see.  PLUS - the grout color is wrong, but I may not have a choice if he DID put the grout just around where the toilets will be installed.

3.  Granite countertops - They were installed this week.  They look good.  Except, they ruined my copper sink, so now the island countertop cannot be done until the new sink gets in.  They are killing me.

4. Stone and brickwork is done - thankfully!  No issues there.

5.  Exterior Painting - we picked a new color that works much better and they painted everything, so the paint is done.  In the process, they broke 3 windows.

Really, that is all that was done.  For having to move in there in 16 days, it sure wasn't much.  I am getting VERY nervous about it.  No, I did not have to pay for those mistakes, my biggest issue is the delay it will cause.

Electricity MIGHT be in next Friday.  MIGHT.  Lets just say am not holding my breath.

I was going to list what was supposed to be done, but I am not going to be negative.  The festival starts this weekend so no one will be working at our place this weekend.  The builder is going out of town for 3 days, so the build will probably just sort of stop - it always does.  He has to have a life though.

Part of my problem right now is I feel out of control.  I am not a control freak but everything is in someone elses hands.  Our credit card number was stolen, the contractor just seem to be doing whatever they want with no regard for our things.  The builder is on top of it, but seems la ti da about it all. 

Probably everyone gets this way at the very end - at least those of us in the "know".  DH is so excited - butterflies and all.  Me, not so much - I see all the problems and what is left to do and the things I had to compromise on because of contractor errors, etc.   I know, I know - if the contractor made a mistake, make them change it - it is not that easy and time delays could cause problems.

At the rental, we are starting to pack up what little we had here, it is feeling very temporary.

Gratitude:  Especially today, it is difficult to feel grateful, but I do.  I am grateful for the ability to go through this process of building our own home.  It is one of the most difficult things by way of stress, but literally a dream come true.

10 comments:

  1. 35 weeks huh? It's like giving birth, isn't it? lolz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my first thought! Lol

      Delete
    2. LOL - That made me laugh - I didn't think about that!

      Delete
  2. Time crunch for sure, but it'll all come together. Sorry about the credit card. We went through that earlier this year when my husband's wallet was stolen. A true pain to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, but at least they caught it before too much happened. In a week, it will be a memory and gone! LOL

      Delete
  3. It is not too late for them to put in the correct color of grout! You should not have to absorb their mistakes. I would not. I know he has to have a life, but he should have people working for him who can carry on when he is gone. Or, maybe he needs to give instructions with the understanding they are to work while he is not watching over them. Every person who has had a copper sink when building has had the workers ruin it and had to get it replaced to continue the build. What is with that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come to find out, it was the color I chose, it just looks much more gray than I wanted. If we change grout at this time, we will not be able to move in. I am just sucking it up. When the dust is removed and it is sealed, it will look fabulous! As for them not working - the tile guy will, but not much else. I know they should work, but with all the problems, I am kind of glad. That is crazy about the copper sinks - I never heard that before! I don't know what happened, so I don't know what the damage is.

      Delete
  4. Soon this will be over, and it will be like labor, you will forget all the pain (mental) that went in to it. I have never experienced building a house, but I know others who have. Just selling one house and moving into another is a nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - that is so true! This has definitely been something that akin to having a baby - love it, hate it, painful, anticipation, intense, slow...LOL. I only know people who have built in a neighborhood, not 100% custom, so noone to really ask advice from. I would do it again though - just not with kids and have a solid place that is mine while doing it. Living temporary is what I think killed us mostly.

      Delete
  5. I've been following your build off & on. It's an insane process but so worth it in the end. My husband and I built our dream a few years ago. We bought the land & designed our home. It's a miracle but it did all come together beautifully. We were living 3 hours away at the time. That was the crazy part for us. I don't ever plan on reliving the insanity of it all. But we did it our way.
    You and your family will have so many memories of your before & after process to laugh at and cherish. Hopefully the worst parts are over & only good times to be had.
    Monica

    ReplyDelete

Namaste