Friday, July 14, 2017

Back at home

It was a long couple of days.  When I came home, it felt like I had been gone for weeks instead of a couple of days.  Hubs felt it too.  Very emotional, very intense, very loaded with drama as most family deaths are.

There was only a very short service at the graveside, no service at the chapel.  It even was not too hot - slightly overcast with a small breeze and then we sat under the tent.  The cemetery was an old one and had quite a few of my family members - including my grandfather.  I think we are going to go back.  My cousin told us of one young man - who would be another cousin of mine who was the youngest to be granted a commercial pilot's license at the time - which would be around 1948-50 in Mississippi.  He died in a plane crash carrying politicians who insisted he fly through a storm.  Just interesting!

I am dehydrated - it seems no one there drinks water!  I suck down 60 + oz a day usually.  The food was horrible - green beans with onion and bacon that tasted as though it was doused in syrup!  YUCK!

So, just glad to be home.

The main drama was the inheritance issue.   My Dad and I were given special things others did not get and it caused an uproar.  There is more inheritance to come as a trust was set up, but I do not know how much or when.  I just know I get 1/3 of 25% of what is in the trust.  What she gave me that caused a fit was her jewelry.  I did not get all of it - but I did get some choice pieces.  Which is really ironic because I don't much care for jewelry!  However, my mother-in-law suggested that I take the stones and put it in something that is more my style - I just may do that.

Anyway, we have go back sometime in August and start cleaning out her house.  I am in charge of digitizing some pictures and recipes to distribute to the family members that want them.  I  will probably take care of anything computer oriented.  Lot of furniture to disperse and papers to go through.  We are giving each family member whatever has their picture or name on it.  Since I am more detailed oriented - my job is the office.  Hey, at least I get to stay in air conditioning.

Well, not too much happened at the house while I was gone and I am not caught up yet, so no update until Sunday probably. 

I hope you all have a great weekend!


7 comments:

  1. Families are something else, aren't they? It was her choice who and what she wanted to leave her things to. They just need to accept it. I'm sure you are very glad to be home. Our "own chaos" is always preferable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have got that right! Mine now is not so bad! I should gone to visit family a month ago - then I would LOVE this little RV.

      Delete
  2. You made the most of it. I never understood arguing over who gets what when a person passes. Obviously, for whatever reason, your grandmother wanted you to have these items. Might be something you could eventually pass down to your own kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, I never understood either, but it is what it is. I plan on making something new with the stones - just not sure what yet. I am going to sit on it for a very long time.

      Delete
  3. You went to Mississippi in the summer? That's rough! I live in AL, and it is torture to be outdoors. However, I lived many years in Mississippi and my mother's family is from there, having lived there for almost 200 years. I hope people do not removed or change names on items. Now, you can get on with living.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in Southern Texas, so it is actually worse here than Mississippi. I thought I got a break so to speak when I went.

      The jewelry is a safe deposit box right now, so no one can touch anything and that was done I think around 2012. The rest of the items - well, we will see.

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry for your loss and the family drama. Glad you are back!!

    ReplyDelete

Namaste