Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Finishing Type Items

OK, this is where I think frustration will rein with me.

So, we are starting to get some finishing type items in - what I mean by that is the things that you actually will see or touch when the house is done.

The first thing to come in is the beams that will go in the living room and the mantle.

Here is where the problem lies.  The company we bought them from power washes them and then fumigates them.  Yesterday when they were delivered, it was pouring down rain in the city.  Sunny where we were, but the beams got wet.  Not a problem - water isn't killer, they just need to dry and not sit in water.

Background on these beams - they are over close to 100 years old and are from a couple of Mennonite Farms in Wisconsin.  They are not sealed, so are very susceptible to staining.  But they are gorgeous!  A little over 16' long and 8" wide and 7" tall weighing in at over 250 lb each.

Beams that are going in the living room ceiling tray.

This one is the mantle above the fireplace.

When we went to the house last evening to check - we do every evening (I am there during the day also- yesterday I was there for 5 hours).  The workers had a BLUE GATORADE sitting on one of my beams!  OH MY GOODNESS - I freaked out.  A stain like that would ruin them.

Then today, they had a blower leaning against my mantle.

We cannot wrap them in plastic because they need to dry, but the workers have absolutely no regard for the delicate nature of them.

They are too heavy to move and should be put up sometime this week.  Lord help me if anyone stains my mantle.

9 comments:

  1. Those beams and mantle will be gorgeous! Was it super expensive to have shipped to you since they are so heavy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We bought them locally, so the delivery was not too expensive. I think $75. They are gorgeous! This really made me excited!

      Delete
  2. I have had the same experience with workers abusing my stuff. People cutting a tree used my white picnic table to fix their chainsaws and add oil. OMG! I just about had a stroke!

    When people come (friends who are helping, paid people, volunteers from a church), I tell the person in charge and in earshot of others, "You are welcome to eat, drink, and rest on my lawn furniture. Make yourself comfortable. However, don't put tools, gas cans, dirty gloves on anything that is my furniture. Sorry to be so picky."

    Take something that will not stain, like pvc pipe, and lay pieces about two feet long crossways all up and down the length. This will stop them or make them think and MAYBE they will not use your interior as a picnic table. Or, you could furnish a table of some sort and say, "Use this instead of my beams for the blue Gatorade as it will stain the beams." And, contact their boss, asking him what can he do if the guys stain the beams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea about the pvc pipes. We DO have a table up there for them and it looks rough too. They don't use it. I was a little loud yesterday talking to my husband about it. I hope they heard. They understand more english than they let on.

      Delete
  3. I think this will quite a focal point in your home! Absolutely stunning! I'd be livid, too, with their thoughtlessness. A conversation with the builder may be in order to prevent damage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had a talk with him, it seems like there is not much that can be done - he tells them, but with no one there to watch every minute...

      Thank you - the beams are amazing! Definitely our splurge and statement pieces.

      Delete
    2. we would love to have some beams like that in our living room and fireplace. I hope we can fit them in the budget!

      Delete
  4. When the cost for new beams or at least some sort of recovery for you and out of their pockets, they may be more careful. Sometimes people have to have things put plainly! Rig up pieces of electrical stuff, all not working, that looks like a camera. They will never know the difference and may leave your beams alone! What language do they speak? All people not from here do understand some English! And, no, they will not admit it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were covered in plastic today and NOTHING was anywhere near them, so a talk worked. They go up Sunday, so nothing to worry about after that. Whew! Yep, if they got a bill for one of those beams, they would be sidestepping everything not nailed in! They speak Spanish - I can understand most of what they say as well!

      Delete

Namaste